True North is:

My photo
Michigan, United States

Friday, August 21, 2009

The Herb Wheel


This past winter I read many books about gardening and in one of them they had diagrams of cool herb wheels. Basically an herb garden in the shape of a wheel instead of the standard square garden. Pat and I decided to make our own this summer. We had some odds and ends laying around from years past of landscaping décor so we lumped it all together to see if we had enough to make one. Low and behold we did! We started with black edging and made it into a circle then nudged the circle here and there to get it the right circumference. We dug a line around the circle and inserted the edging into it to keep it stable. We used more of the edging to make spokes and then filled all the sections with nice fertile dirt from the pig pen. We then outlined the outer wheel with brick to reinforce the circle walls. We used bricks in the center and I hand painted the herb name that would grown the in corresponding section to add a little personal touch to it. The center piece are parts of our pine stumps that were used earlier to make the pine stump fence and a few deer antlers from deer pat killed from years past. We planted Rosemary, Parsley, Cilantro, Dill and Basil. With lots of weeding, watering and sun....all came up very well, except for the Rosemary. Not sure what I did wrong there but no growth! I love using fresh herbs when cooking and I will dry the rest to use for the year.

4 comments:

  1. That wagon wheel is a neat idea! My herb garden is basically rectangle shape that was supposed to be made into a triangle:) Then this year i started planting them around the house as well. Rosemary is harder to start from seed so I have bought plants. Chives is an easy herb to grow, and so is oregano. I buy sage plants also but have been successful keeping it going by the layering method. I have lots of fennel if you would like some. I have successfully mailed some out to my daughter and its doing great. You guys are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! What a cool idea...maybe I'll try something like this with my herb garden next summer. By the way, I'm loving your blog...I read your USA Today article, and they're both very inspiring! Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunny...Yes I've heard lately Rosemary is hard to start from seed, I may have to do plants next year. Good luck to you on your growing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole...Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate you following us!

    ReplyDelete